Skip to main content

Judge Dismisses Lawsuit That Alleges Elon Musk Cheated Shareholders Several Times During Twitter Buyout

A judge dismissed a proposed class-action lawsuit against Elon Musk that claimed he cheated Twitter shareholders several times last year in the course of buying the social media company for $44 billion (roughly Rs. 3,61,687 crore).

In a decision on Monday, US District Judge Charles Breyer in San Francisco said plaintiff William Heresniak lacked standing to sue because he challenged "wrongs associated with" Musk's buyout, not the fairness of the buyout itself.

Breyer said Heresniak did not show harm from Musk's belated disclosure of a 9.2 percent Twitter stake, which the suit said let him buy more shares at lower prices before the buyout was announced, or from the closing's taking place 1 1/2 months later than planned.

The judge also found no proof that Musk helped two friends then on Twitter's board, co-founder Jack Dorsey and Silver Lake private equity firm managing partner Egon Durban, breach their fiduciary duties by favoring their own and Musk's interests. 

Breyer said letting Dorsey roll over his approximately $1 billion (roughly Rs. 8,210 crore) of Twitter shares into an equity stake in the new company merely reduced how much Musk had to pay at closing, and did not "improperly divert" money from other shareholders.

Heresniak's lawyers did not immediately respond to requests for comment outside of business hours.

Musk also runs the electric car company Tesla and is the world's second-richest person, according to Forbes magazine.

Lawyers for Musk, two of his holding companies, and Twitter did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

In a March 3 court filing, they called Heresniak's claims "a disjointed laundry list of - often irrelevant - grievances against Elon Musk."

Heresniak sued on May 25, 2022, one month after Twitter accepted Musk's $54.20 (roughly Rs. 4,488) per share buyout offer. The transaction closed on October 27.

Twitter has since struggled to maintain ad revenue, with some advertisers expressing concern that loosened content rules could leave their ads associated with hate speech or other "wrong messages."

On May 12, Musk named former NBCUniversal advertising chief Linda Yaccarino as Twitter's new chief executive.

The case is Heresniak v Musk et al, US District Court, Northern District of California, No. 22-03074. 

© Thomson Reuters 2023 


Samsung Galaxy A34 5G was recently launched by the company in India alongside the more expensive Galaxy A54 5G smartphone. How does this phone fare against the Nothing Phone 1 and the iQoo Neo 7? We discuss this and more on Orbital, the Gadgets 360 podcast. Orbital is available on Spotify, Gaana, JioSaavn, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music and wherever you get your podcasts.


from Gadgets 360 https://ift.tt/fK3051g

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Itel P55 With Dual Rear Cameras, 5,000mAh Battery Launched in India: Price, Specifications

Itel P55 5G was launched in India on Tuesday and it claims to be the cheapest 5G smartphone in the country. The phone is powered by an octa-core Dimensity chipset and supports wired fast charging. It carries an AI-powered dual rear camera unit and is offered in a single storage variant along with two colour options. Itel India also introduced the Itel S23+ alongside, and is a budget smartphone with a curved AMOLED display. The company is extending a two-year warranty on the handsets and is also offering free screen replacement within 100 days of purchase. Itel P55 5G price in India, availability Offered in Blue and Green colour options, the singular 8GB + 128GB variant of the Itel P55 5G is priced at Rs. 9,999. The phone will be available for purchase via Amazon India starting October 4. Itel P55 5G specifications, features Sporting a 6.6-inch HD+ (1600 x 700 pixels) display, the dual nano SIM-supported Itel P55 comes with a refresh rate of 90Hz. The phone is powered by an octa-co...

The 53 Most Anticipated Movies of 2023

What are the biggest movies of 2023? From Hollywood, we are expecting nine DC and Marvel superhero movies. (After a long time, DC has more titles on the calendar than Marvel Studios). A new Ant-Man, Aquaman, Flash, Shazam, Captain Marvel, Spider-Verse, and Guardians of the Galaxy film is on the docket for 2023 — Jason Momoa, Brie Larson, Chris Pratt, and Paul Rudd jump into spandex again — along with the first Kraven and Blue Beetle movies. Speaking of firsts, Mario, Gran Turismo, and Dungeons & Dragons are looking to launch new franchises in 2023, with the help of Pratt, Chris Pine, and David Harbour. We even have a live-action Barbie movie, with Margot Robbie, on the way. Beyond that, we have a second Dune entry with Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya, a third entry in the Rocky spin-off Creed with Michael B. Jordan, the fourth John Wick film with Keanu Reeves, a fifth Indiana Jones movie with Harrison Ford, a seventh Transformers and Tom Cruise-led Mission: Impossible, and the tenth...